Dromore jump for joy as they seal the Junior Cup for the first time since 1939

Dromore lift the Millar McCall Wylie Junior Cup for the first time since 1939 with a 22-19 win over arch-rivals Ballynahinch at Kingspan Stadium last night.

Tries from Tom Lyttle and Ben Heath, combined with a penalty try secured the win for the Co Down side as they held off a Hinch fight back in the second half.

Despite Dromore controlling the game in the opening stages it was their counterparts who took the lead through a Matthew Norton penalty, however their fabled rolling maul rolled into gear ten minutes later as Lyttle crossed for his side’s opening try.

Another Norton penalty made it 6-5 to the reigning the Champions however Dromore were handed the lead again on the stroke of half time.

Strong carrying from Andrew Black and Aaron Stewart combined with a jinking run from Adam McDonald gave Dromore the momentum inside the Hinch 22. With an overlap out wide the ball was whisked wide but a knock on from Hinch’s Aaron Ferris was deemed deliberate and the referee marched under the posts to award a penalty try.

With a man advantage at the start of the second half, Dromore picked up where they left off as Ben Heath crashed over the line for a third Dromore try just after the restart.

As the second half progressed Hinch continued to press against a tiring Dromore side. Adam McDonald was sent to the bin for a professional foul at the ruck after he pulled off a try saving tackle on Hinch’s Jonathan McCoubrey resulting in Ronan Patterson crossing in the corner in the next play to leave last year’s winners chasing a seven point deficit.

Dromore were afforded respite as Lee Steenson knocked over a penalty midway through the half to put two scores between the sides before Ferris capitalized on a rare Dromore error to provide a nail biting finish.

Dromore held on much to the delight of the travelling support who sounded their appreciation on the final whistle.

Photo credit – Bob Given Photography & John McMurtry