Holiday fixtures are always interesting as team changes are unavoidable and it gives an opportunity to see up and coming talent.

BRA kicked off with wind and rain behind them and enjoyed the better possession and territory in the early exchanges, but the game was a bit slow and disjointed with players from both squads making handling errors.

Eventually, Campbell made better progress and a burst through the centre from Ben Rainey, their open-side flanker, saw him power his way under the posts for their first try, easily converted by Dara Gaskin.

Campbell’s second try came shortly after with James Johnston crashing over the line beside the uprights, again converted by Gaskin. Campbell kept up the pressure and subsequently were gifted a penalty expertly taken by Gaskin after BRA illegally held a Campbell player without releasing. A good first half shift from the Campbell team who looked in total control at half time with the score at 17-0 in their favour.

The second half was a reminder why you should never leave a match before the final whistle.

For 25 mins the game was stuck, neither side could add a score and it looked as it the final 10 mins would fade away into a forgettable encounter. With the play around BRA ‘s 10 metre line Campbell gave away a penalty and from the resulting line out and some good ball retention BRA found themselves at Campbell’s goal line with Daniel Logan eventually going over in the corner after hard work from the forwards. Conversion missed and to most this looked like a consolation score for the Roughfort lads. Not so.

The game flipped just after the restart as Campbell had BRA in their own half struggling to exit. However, an  ambitious pass was picked off by and the BRA’s Ollie Parkes who ran straight down the pitch to score under the posts. The referee barely had time to indicate a try before a drop goal conversion by Logan and the score was now 17-12. Game on.

With two minutes on the clock the ball was collected from the restart by BRA prop who made a significant break up the middle allowing BRA back into Campbell’s half. Campbell infringed and BRA had a penalty. It was all or nothing on this final play as BRA ran straight at the Campbell defence and after two phases the ball was passed out to the backs and the centre Ryan Jameson just squeezed the ball against the posts to level the scores. With a sitter to convert the game was won by Logan on the final kick of the game 19-17.

Time to draw breath! What a finish. Congratulations to BRA on a fighting comeback  and commiserations to Campbell who must have wondered how on earth they lost the game!

Report and pictures – Richard Owens.